Re: Request to re-open issue 131 -USE CASES, USE CASES, USE CASES

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 10:36:03 -0800
To: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
CC: Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, david bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Charles Pritchard<chuck@jumis.com>  wrote:
>> As for the relatedTarget, I don't know that it's necessary to include it.
>> The author already knows which canvas they used when they bound to the
>> sub-element.
> How do they know that?

When they wire up the event handlers, they have specific data at hand.
If it's absolutely necessary,  they can setup an object to help them
track it.

var myObj = {};
ctx.setElementPath(myObj[ctx.canvas.id] = subElement);

Again, though, you have items like onclick, where it's plausible that
the click was triggered by keyboard.

> What happens if different canvas paths, perhaps in different canvases,
> are bound to the same element?

The latest canvas to bind wins the prize.
I don't think the DOM+CSS model is ready to handle multiple boxes
pointing to one element.

This binding is really more about CSS and the browser's internal
implementation of a light shadow dom than it is about canvas.
It's the DOM we're updating. The canvas implementation should not be
keeping track of things. It's the DOM+CSS implementation that should be
doing the work.

DOM does support multiple rectangles in getClientRects, I don't think
it's something we need to aspire to.
If an author has several paths, they can easily run them before a single
binding call.

-Charles