Re: Request to re-open issue 131 -USE CASES, USE CASES, USE CASES

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 09:27:53 +0100
To: "Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis" <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>, "Charles Pritchard" <chuck@jumis.com>
Cc: "Frank Olivier" <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "Richard Schwerdtfeger" <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "Steve Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "Cynthia Shelly" <cyns@microsoft.com>, "david bolter" <david.bolter@gmail.com>, "David Bolter" <dbolter@mozilla.com>, "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Paul Cotton" <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 19:36:03 +0100, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
wrote:

>> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Charles Pritchard<chuck@jumis.com>
>> wrote:
>>> As for the relatedTarget, I don't know that it's necessary to include
>>> it.
>>> The author already knows which canvas they used when they bound to the
>>> sub-element.
>> How do they know that?
>
> When they wire up the event handlers, they have specific data at hand.
> If it's absolutely necessary,  they can setup an object to help them
> track it.
>
> var myObj = {};
> ctx.setElementPath(myObj[ctx.canvas.id] = subElement);
>
> Again, though, you have items like onclick, where it's plausible that
> the click was triggered by keyboard.
>
>> What happens if different canvas paths, perhaps in different canvases,
>> are bound to the same element?
>>

> The latest canvas to bind wins the prize.
> I don't think the DOM+CSS model is ready to handle multiple boxes
> pointing to one element.

But web page design is well past ready for that, and there are lots of
ways to do it...

> This binding is really more about CSS and the browser's internal
> implementation of a light shadow dom than it is about canvas.
> It's the DOM we're updating. The canvas implementation should not be
> keeping track of things. It's the DOM+CSS implementation that should be
> doing the work.

Agreed. But we should design for reality not theory, and my sense tells me
that far too many people *do* use the canvas to keep track of what is
happening instead of a nice clean architecture...

> DOM does support multiple rectangles in getClientRects, I don't think
> it's something we need to aspire to.
> If an author has several paths, they can easily run them before a single
> binding call.

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk