Re: Last Call decision poll

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 02:42:43 +0200
To: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Sam Ruby (rubys@intertwingly.net) <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Maciej Stachowiak (mjs@apple.com) <mjs@apple.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret (plh@w3.org) <plh@w3.org>, Michael(tm) Smith (mike@w3.org) <mike@w3.org>
Paul Cotton, Sun, 15 May 2011 18:14:24 +0000:

> In addition the Chairs will be counting votes in this poll to
> determine if we achieve a 2/3 voting majority and therefore we
> want as many WG members to respond to the survey as possible.

I'll assume that you meant "simple two-thirds majority" and not
"absolute two-thirds majority". Because otherwise, an abstention vote
could have consequences that I presume many of the abstaining votes did
not intend it to have: [1]

'''
[snip] two-thirds majority is a potentially ambiguous supermajoritarian
requirement [snip]
An unqualified or simple two-thirds majority requires that the number
of votes in favour must be at least twice the number of votes against.
Abstaining votes or neutral votes are not considered in a simple
two-thirds majority.
An absolute two-thirds majority requires that at least two-thirds of
the entire membership of a body vote in favor.[ snip ] (which has the
effect of counting abstentions as votes against the proposal)
'''

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_majority#Two-thirds_majority
--
Leif H Silli