Re: Last Call decision poll

On 05/21/2011 08:42 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Paul Cotton, Sun, 15 May 2011 18:14:24 +0000:
>
>> In addition the Chairs will be counting votes in this poll to
>> determine if we achieve a 2/3 voting majority and therefore we
>> want as many WG members to respond to the survey as possible.
>
> I'll assume that you meant "simple two-thirds majority" and not
> "absolute two-thirds majority". Because otherwise, an abstention vote
> could have consequences that I presume many of the abstaining votes did
> not intend it to have: [1]

+1

An absolute two-thirds majority would be inconsistent with the idea of
having a quorum that is less than 2/3rds, and furthermore would be
inconsistent with the idea of excluding non-blank votes.

As with prior polls within this working group, abstentions will be
counted per the third paragraph of this page:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstention

> '''
> [snip] two-thirds majority is a potentially ambiguous supermajoritarian
> requirement [snip]
> An unqualified or simple two-thirds majority requires that the number
> of votes in favour must be at least twice the number of votes against.
> Abstaining votes or neutral votes are not considered in a simple
> two-thirds majority.
> An absolute two-thirds majority requires that at least two-thirds of
> the entire membership of a body vote in favor.[ snip ] (which has the
> effect of counting abstentions as votes against the proposal)
> '''
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_majority#Two-thirds_majority

- Sam Ruby