Re: what is dt?

On Sep 17, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>> h1:
>> - Extremely likely to be styled by the site in a way that's not
>> appropriate
>> for a figure/details heading.
>> - Would interfere with attempts to infer an outline for the page.
>
> While default styling is a bit of an issue, I'm not sure how using
> <h1> would interfere with the outline algorithm.  <figure> is
> explicitly a sectioning root, and <details> could presumably be made
> one as well.
>
> As well, default styling isn't a huge issue.  I think it's pretty
> common to restyle your <hx>s anyway, and a simple "details > h1" rule
> would catch most of it (obviously "details > h1:first-of-type" would
> be best, but that's more complex, and more detail than will commonly
> be needed I believe).  Similarly "figure > h1" would allow easy
> restyling.

The issue is not default styling but author styling. If you restyled
all your headers with a rule for an "h1" selector, you may have to go
out of your way to undo that styling when you add a details or figure,
since it's unlikely to be appropriate. "h1" does seem less problematic
than "label" however, since it does not have the form control issue.

Regards,
Maciej