Re: what is dt?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:06:12 -0500
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, Smylers@stripey.com, public-html@w3.org
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> h1:
> - Extremely likely to be styled by the site in a way that's not appropriate
> for a figure/details heading.
> - Would interfere with attempts to infer an outline for the page.

While default styling is a bit of an issue, I'm not sure how using
<h1> would interfere with the outline algorithm.  <figure> is
explicitly a sectioning root, and <details> could presumably be made
one as well.

As well, default styling isn't a huge issue.  I think it's pretty
common to restyle your <hx>s anyway, and a simple "details > h1" rule
would catch most of it (obviously "details > h1:first-of-type" would
be best, but that's more complex, and more detail than will commonly
be needed I believe).  Similarly "figure > h1" would allow easy
restyling.

~TJ