Re: what is dt?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:02:45 -0500
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, Smylers@stripey.com, public-html@w3.org
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> h1:
>>> - Extremely likely to be styled by the site in a way that's not
>>> appropriate
>>> for a figure/details heading.
>>> - Would interfere with attempts to infer an outline for the page.
>>
>> While default styling is a bit of an issue, I'm not sure how using
>> <h1> would interfere with the outline algorithm.  <figure> is
>> explicitly a sectioning root, and <details> could presumably be made
>> one as well.
>>
>> As well, default styling isn't a huge issue.  I think it's pretty
>> common to restyle your <hx>s anyway, and a simple "details > h1" rule
>> would catch most of it (obviously "details > h1:first-of-type" would
>> be best, but that's more complex, and more detail than will commonly
>> be needed I believe).  Similarly "figure > h1" would allow easy
>> restyling.
>
> The issue is not default styling but author styling. If you restyled all
> your headers with a rule for an "h1" selector, you may have to go out of
> your way to undo that styling when you add a details or figure, since it's
> unlikely to be appropriate. "h1" does seem less problematic than "label"
> however, since it does not have the form control issue.

Hmm.  That seems odd here, though.  Are we expecting people to start
using <figure>/<details> without any ability to change their CSS?
Again, there are already issues surrounding the recommended use of
<h1> that will require alterations to existing stylesheets that may be
expecting only a single <h1> to exist on a page and style it
accordingly.  Might as well just layer all the necessary revisions
onto <h1>.

I mean, I've got live CSS that would style <dt>/<dd> badly when used
in <figure> and <details> right now, because I never expected them to
appear outside of a <dl> when I wrote the code.  I'll have to change
some styling no matter what to make things display correctly unless we
invent an entirely new element.

~TJ