Re: what is dt?

From: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:15:08 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, Smylers@stripey.com, public-html@w3.org
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> h1:
>> - Extremely likely to be styled by the site in a way that's not appropriate
>> for a figure/details heading.
>> - Would interfere with attempts to infer an outline for the page.
>
> While default styling is a bit of an issue, I'm not sure how using
> <h1> would interfere with the outline algorithm.  <figure> is
> explicitly a sectioning root, and <details> could presumably be made
> one as well.
>
> As well, default styling isn't a huge issue.  I think it's pretty
> common to restyle your <hx>s anyway, and a simple "details > h1" rule
> would catch most of it (obviously "details > h1:first-of-type" would
> be best, but that's more complex, and more detail than will commonly
> be needed I believe).  Similarly "figure > h1" would allow easy
> restyling.

I believe reusing <h1> would interact poorly with legacy software that
assumes headings should be used for navigation. In particular I would
expect existing AT to have a problem with this.

On the subject of the outline algorithm, it is unclear to me that
<figure> should be a sectioning root. I would expect that figure > dd
would be a sectioning root but one could use <h1> in figure > dt to
include a figure in the outline view of a document.