Re: Accessibility Task Force

Laura Carlson wrote:

> PFWG's agreement and formal sign off is prudent if we want HTML 5 to
> become a W3C Recommendation without accessibility related formal
> objections.

Paul, Maciej, and I have already discussed this.  That will be sought
anyway -- independent of whether this Task Force is formed or not.  And
you correctly point out the implications of us not doing so.

If we accept that as a given, and given that there is agreement on the
following eight points:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Sep/0415.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Sep/0420.html

And given that this is the easiest way to address the patent scope
issues(*), and given that this task force is probably the best way to
achieve technical agreement, the hope was that we could simply proceed
as an HTML Working Group task force.

Yes, the optics are lousy, particularly given past history.  No, it
wouldn't have been my first choice -- if we had started this several
months ago.

So the question I would like to put on the table is this: if we can give
assurances that we will seek PFWG signoff *before* we go to Last Call,
is that enough to allow this Task Force to be created?

- Sam Ruby

(*) This is the complicated part.  As an absurd example to illustrate
the point: somebody working in an XML Working Group does not give up
rights to video APIs simply because some other part of the W3C is
working on such.