Re: Pedagogic validation

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 22:38:00 +0200
To: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:49:34 +0200, Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com> wrote:

>> The idea is to have options in the validator that can be of use in  a
>> teaching situation.
>
> I think that's a great idea.
>
> And where I point out specific places in which I'd want different rules
> from yours when teaching HTML, I'm not trying to persuade you that mine
> are in any way 'better' or that you should change your mind on this
> matter.
>
> Merely that it's entirely possible to reasonably have different ideas on
> subjective things like this, so no one ruleset should be able to claim
> rights to being the best for pedagogical reasons.

I had an idea about having an option in the validator that just asserts
which coding conventions are used in the document; something like:

    minimized attributes: none
    unquoted attributes: none
    single quoted attributes: ...list of occurrences...
    double quoted attributes: ...list of occurrences...
    etc.

This wouldn't make the validator take any position about The Right Set of
Rules, but would still allow teachers to enforce a particular coding style
on their students.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software