Begin discussions for pushing Last Call into 2010

Dan Connolly wrote:
> Please let's take care with subject lines... this
> isn't about the telconference agenda...

Actually, I thought it could be an item for discussion on the agenda, in
which case it does fit the topic line.

> On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 10:23 -0500, Shelley Powers wrote:
>
>>> Issue-74/Action-133 canvas-accessibility
>>> This item is not due this week, but I'm choosing to flag it at this
>>> time as it as a target date of 2009-12-17 which would preclude us for
>>> going to Last Call this year.  I'd like to put out a call for
>>> volunteers: if there is anybody out there with an interest and ability
>>> to help pull this date in, I would like to ask that they step forward.
>>>
>> One suggestion I have on this, and yes I know this was based on a
>> previous vote, is that we re-consider whether to keep the Canvas element
>> in HTML 5, or to spin it off, either into a new working group, or
>> potential future working group.
>>
>> I know that folks wanted this item covered by _some_ working group, but
>> canvas accessibility issues could end up holding back the entire HTML 5
>> document, because canvas accessibility isn't going to be a quick fix,
>> not from what I can see. In addition, tying the element to the HTML 5
>> will hinder future innovation.
>>
>> Frankly, the HTML 5 specification is already overly large, and the HTML
>> 5 object, other than the element tag, really doesn't fit in with a
>> specification titled "HTML" anything.
>>
>> Is there any possibility that this one could be raised to a new item, or
>> be reconsidered?
>>

> Whether to include an immediate-mode graphics API is the one
> technical issue this WG has actually decided:
> ISSUE-15 immediate-mode-graphics proposal carries over objections
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Dec/0094.html
>
> So we can only reconsider that if there's new information.
>
> That the HTML 5 spec is big is not new information.
>
> Nor are accessibility concerns around canvas; discussion
> of that goes back at least as far as Apr 2007
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0986.html

Thanks for the update. Unfortunate for HTML and for the Canvas element.
A future formal objection most likely.

Well, then, since the date on the action item for Canvas accessibility
is past last call date, we should begin the discussion about pushing
Last Call into 2010.

Shelley