Re: Issue-74/Action-133 canvas-accessibility and ISSUE-15 immediate-mode-graphics [was: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-13]

Please let's take care with subject lines... this
isn't about the telconference agenda...

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 10:23 -0500, Shelley Powers wrote:

> > Issue-74/Action-133 canvas-accessibility
> > This item is not due this week, but I'm choosing to flag it at this
> > time as it as a target date of 2009-12-17 which would preclude us for
> > going to Last Call this year.  I'd like to put out a call for
> > volunteers: if there is anybody out there with an interest and ability
> > to help pull this date in, I would like to ask that they step forward.
>
> One suggestion I have on this, and yes I know this was based on a
> previous vote, is that we re-consider whether to keep the Canvas element
> in HTML 5, or to spin it off, either into a new working group, or
> potential future working group.
>
> I know that folks wanted this item covered by _some_ working group, but
> canvas accessibility issues could end up holding back the entire HTML 5
> document, because canvas accessibility isn't going to be a quick fix,
> not from what I can see. In addition, tying the element to the HTML 5
> will hinder future innovation.
>
> Frankly, the HTML 5 specification is already overly large, and the HTML
> 5 object, other than the element tag, really doesn't fit in with a
> specification titled "HTML" anything.
>
> Is there any possibility that this one could be raised to a new item, or
> be reconsidered?

Whether to include an immediate-mode graphics API is the one
technical issue this WG has actually decided:
ISSUE-15 immediate-mode-graphics proposal carries over objections
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Dec/0094.html

So we can only reconsider that if there's new information.

That the HTML 5 spec is big is not new information.

Nor are accessibility concerns around canvas; discussion
of that goes back at least as far as Apr 2007
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0986.html

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E