Re: HTML 5 draft copyright?

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Justin James wrote:

> Can anyone provide feedback as to how/why the HTML 5 spec is formally
> and legally owed by those three companies, and not the W3C, and if/when
> the ownership of the copyright will be transferred to the W3C?

The W3C copy of the spec is copyrighted by the W3C. You were looking at
the WHATWG copy, which is covered by a more permissive license to allow,
amongst other things, for spec text to be used verbatim by tools. It also
allows for development of the spec to fork easily in case we start doing a
bad job, putting pressure on us not to screw up.