HTML 5 draft copyright?

From: Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 23:57:03 -0400
To: "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>

I was taking a look at the current draft tonight, and I noticed the
following:

"C Copyright 2004-2008 Apple Computer, Inc., Mozilla Foundation, and Opera
Software ASA.
You are granted a license to use, reproduce and create derivative works of
this document."

This bothers me. Especially since the HTML 4 spec says:

"Copyright C1997-1999 W3CR (MIT, INRIA, Keio), All Rights Reserved. W3C
liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply."

HTML to be a copyright of W3C makes a heck of a lot more sense than it being
copyright Apple, Mozilla, and Opera (and for that matter, where is Microsoft
on that list? ;) )

Can anyone provide feedback as to how/why the HTML 5 spec is formally and
legally owed by those three companies, and not the W3C, and if/when the
ownership of the copyright will be transferred to the W3C?

Thanks!

J.Ja