Re: About video & audio elements

From: Nicolas LE GALL <me@neovov.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:59:07 +0200
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>

Le 1 sept. 08 à 17:50, Lachlan Hunt a écrit :
> You are reinventing a video container format, without all the
> advantages of having the streams muxed together in a single file,
> and then depending on the ability of a player to play multiple files
> simultaneously and in sync.  That's not going to work.

Video on Internet is quite new and maybe (and I really hope) one day
someone will provide a video with multiple tracks. If this person want
to publish a video with 3-4 audio tracks, how the browser will handle
the streams ? Will he download the audio tracks simultaneously (in
this case I think it's an huge waste of bandwidth) or will he be
enough clever to download the played track only (so, in this case less
bandwidth and a little lag when changing language).

I think Maurice think about it and also about the video over the year.
If someone like very very much a video and decide to sub it in his
language how will he do ? He will have to send the subs to the user
and wait he mux the file ? Muxing a file for adding a track isn't easy
(if I remember well adding a track using MKVmerge don't work as good
as expected) and there is always the upload process which will waste a
lot of time for the user.

--
Nicolas LE GALL
http://blog.neovov.com