Re: About video & audio elements

Maurice wrote:
> I think it would be easier to have a general purpose way of accessing
> whatever is associate with the <video> and determining whether it's
> another audio or video file or text or something. Allowing page authors
> to do something with them is great but I really think this is something
> Browser developers should work on providing in their <video> UI.
> Hopefully they'll realize the benefits of being able to brag about
> having the most hearing-impaired-friendly video implementation.
>
> <video>
>   <source>kongzilla.ogg</source>
>   <timedtext src="kzsubtitles_en.sub">English Subtitles By
> KongJrD@wgz98</timedtext>
>   <alternateaudio>
>     <audio src="kzfrenchDubTrack.mp3">French Dub </audio>
>   </alternateaudio>
>
>   <simultaneous_audio>
>     <audio src="KZ_DirectorComments.mp3">Directors Commentary</audio>
>   </simultaneous_audio>
> </video>
>
> ... again, this would all depend on the browser devs making such things
> accessible to the user in their video interface...

You are reinventing a video container format, without all the advantages
of having the streams muxed together in a single file, and then
depending on the ability of a player to play multiple files
simultaneously and in sync.  That's not going to work.

Take a look at, for example, Matroska with tools like MKVMerge.  That
tool allows you to combine all your video, audio, subtitle, chapter and
other streams, all with metadata, into a single MKV container file.

Then open it up in any player that supports it (e.g. VLC, Media Player
Classic, Windows Media Player (with CCCP installed), or QuickTime on OS
X (with Perian installed).  These allow you to select and play different
audio, video and subtitle streams.

> I realize now this sounds a lot like features from a dvd...

If you want DVD like features, then the Matroska project is apparently
also working on developing a similar menu system for use with MKV too.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/