Re: Translation control in HTML5

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:07:47 +0100
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:25:16 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> How about a new keyword for "lang", instead, which means "not
> translatable" or some such? lang="computer-code" or something.

Isn't it exactly the purpose of <code>? (which apparently is completely
ignored by Google Translator and Babelfish – both not only translate it,
but also alter punctuation).

There's already "zxx" and "und" in ISO 639-2 and its use is suggested by
W3C: (both popular translators ignore this as well)
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language#nonlinguistic

And threre's even a very specific markup for defining translatable parts
of documents: (given lousy support for HTML in aformentioned translators I
didn't even bother testing that one)
http://www.w3.org/TR/its/

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski