RE: Translation control in HTML5

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Chris Wilson wrote:

> >How about a new keyword for "lang", instead, which means "not
> >translatable" or some such? lang="computer-code" or something.
>
> That could be done, although in some of the scenarios (like trademarks
> or industry terms, or addresses), I'm not sure if the original language
> is still actually interesting (since you'd have to replace it with the
> "untranslatable" one.  The logic is really a bit, somehow, on lang.

Yeah... maybe the syntax of lang="" should be extended, with a prefix or
suffix keyword that means "this is not translatable, but is based on this
language"? e.g. lang="en-US" vs lang="only en-US"?

This has the added advantage of automatically disabling translation on any
system that already supports lang="" properly.