Re: Doctype on text/html Pages (Was: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart)

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:51:38 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Robert J Burns wrote:
>>
>> We have only one doctype declaration for the text/html serialization so why
>> do we need infinite doctype declarations for the XML serialization,
>
> Because it's XML.

Doh! Back from the XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 RECs, they happen to *require*
specific DOCTYPEs!

Is it because those specs have been written before NVDL and the like?
Or because they need to somehow express which version of XHTML is in
use? (which HTML5 tries to avoid!)

Anyway, IMO, XHTML5 (or HTML5/XML if you prefer) shouldn't mandate
anything relative to the DOCTYPE (presence/absence, public/system
identifiers, subset, etc.)

--
Thomas Broyer