Re: Doctype on text/html Pages (Was: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart)

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:36:44 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Robert J Burns wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Actually: not at all.
>> I'm not sure why we would want to restrict the XML serialization in any
>> way.
>> Recipients are supposed to use an XML parser, and can use both MIME type
>> and XML namespaces to detect what they're looking it.
> I think I already answered it in the part you snipped. What is your use case
> for allowing any doctype declaration? What problem does that address?

<!DOCTYPE html [
<!ENTITY copyrightHead SYSTEM "copyrightHead">
<!ENTITY copyrightFooter SYSTEM "copyrightFooter">

where &copyrightHead; generates a <link rel="copyright"/> and/or <meta
name="copyright"/> or what you want; and &copyrightFooter; generates a
<small class="copyright">(c) Copyright 2008 XXX</small>

> We have only one doctype declaration for the text/html serialization so why
> do we need infinite doctype declarations for the XML serialization,

Because it's XML.

Thomas Broyer