Re: Doctype on text/html Pages (Was: [author-guide] Character Entity References Chart)

On Jul 23, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

>> I think we're confusing issues here. For XML authors they can
>> certainly use any valid doctype declaration they want. To make an
>> HTML5 XML document, they may use a doctype declaration or omit the
>> doctype declaration. However, if they include a doctype declaration
>> on the HTML5 document it must be "<!DOCTYPE html>".
>
> Really? It this the intent? Why? What is it good for?

>> I hope that helps clarify the situation.
>
> Actually: not at all.
>
> I'm not sure why we would want to restrict the XML serialization in
> any way.
>
> Recipients are supposed to use an XML parser, and can use both MIME
> type and XML namespaces to detect what they're looking it.

I think I already answered it in the part you snipped. What is your
use case for allowing any doctype declaration? What problem does that
address? We have only one doctype declaration for the text/html
serialization so why do we need infinite doctype declarations for the
XML serialization, especially since we seem to agree that the
importance of doctype declarations is quickly vanishing (which is I
guess why this topic inspires so much debate compared to the more
substantive topics which illicit no response whatsoever)

Take care,
Rob