RE: Microsoft's "I mean it" content-type parameter

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:23:53 -0400
To: Daniel Stenberg <daniel@haxx.se>
Cc: "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org, public-html-request@w3.org

Daniel Stenberg wrote on 07/03/2008 11:51:39 AM:

> I find this "I promise this time I really mean that the type is what I
say"
> attribute hilariously funny.

That's not exactly what it means.

Consider:

http://feedvalidator.org/testcases/atom/1.1/brief-noerror.xml

This is a testcase (you might have guessed such from the URI).  It has been
served as application/xml for years.  Sometime during the that period a
number of uppity browsers one by one decided to throw out the rules that
have guided the development of the internet and that they knew better than
I did as to how this data was intended to be displayed.  They did so
because a number of *other* people don't know how to configure their
servers.  And now the HTML5 working group has decided to ensrine this
decision.

Because I'm clearly outnumbered, I can understand why the default can't be
to support me, despite my not having done anything wrong.  I know some are
indignant about this, but I'm not one of them.  I simply want a way to say
that despite what other people may have done and may continue to do, I
would like to request that the content type I am sending be respected.

Spell it differently, put in verbage that says that web servers SHOULD NOT
enable this by default (and by this, Apache, I mean YOU), I care not.  Just
give me a way to specify the MIME type reliably.

- Sam Ruby