Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-http-link-header-02

On Jul 3, 2008, at 16:24, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> IANA is well-recognised, has processes in place for change control,
> is accountable for availability, continuity, etc. and is backed by a
> stable financial structure. I don't see any benefit to making an
> exception for one type of registry when every other one on the
> Internet uses IANA, but maybe I'm missing something.

Content on the WHATWG wiki is Free as in Free Software, which makes it
suitable for inclusion in software that might get distributed as part
of as OS distribution that has a Free Software-only policy. To my
knowledge, IANA registry files aren't Free as in Free Software,
because distribution of modified versions isn't permitted. (If I've
misunderstood, I'd love to know and be proven wrong.)

Now that the Java Trap is history, to get a fully functional instance
of Validator.nu, the only non-Free ingredient one needs is a copy of
the IANA language tag registry file...

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi