Re: ISSUE-28 (http-mime-override): Content type rules in HTML 5 overlaps with the HTTP specification? [HTML Principles/Requirements]

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:47:46 -0600
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> OK, but that means the test cases are broken, right? HTML5 currently
> mandates content sniffing only in absence of Content-Encoding.

If that's what the spec says, then the tests are broken, yes.  It's not clear
whether this is the right thing for the spec to say....  It might be.

> Well. I'd argue for not adding more sniffing when not strictly required.

There are a number of sites that do get broken by the Content-Encoding thing.
Not as many as by not sniffing at all, but enough.

> Speaking of which: can I turn off content sniffing in the FF config?

Not at the moment, no.  It wouldn't be too hard to add a preference for this, I
suppose...  Not sure it's worth it.  What are the use cases?

-Boris