Re: ISSUE-28 (http-mime-override): Content type rules in HTML 5 overlaps with the HTTP specification? [HTML Principles/Requirements]

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> In particular, it seems that neither FF2 nor FF3 follow these rules
>> with respect to ignoring text/plain in certain situations (test cases
>> 008, 009, 010 in
>> <http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/http/content-type/sniffing/>).
>
> Those are sent with "Content-Encoding: gzip".  Due to an internal
> limitation, Gecko does not sniff such content at the moment (basically,
> because sniffing would involve undoing the content encoding first, since
> sniffing the gzipped data is pointless).  If the test sent the data
> without Content-Encoding (which is the usual situation for the cases the
> sniffing is designed to address), those tests would get sniffed as binary.

OK, but that means the test cases are broken, right? HTML5 currently
mandates content sniffing only in absence of Content-Encoding.

> Oh, and we really do plan to addres the gzip limitation at some point,
> just so things are consistent and people don't get confused as you did
> here...

Well. I'd argue for not adding more sniffing when not strictly required.

Speaking of which: can I turn off content sniffing in the FF config?

BR, Julian