Re: ISSUE-28 (http-mime-override): Content type rules in HTML 5 overlaps with the HTTP specification? [HTML Principles/Requirements]

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:42:26 -0500
To: "HTML Issue Tracking WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On 1/23/08, HTML Issue Tracking Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> ISSUE-28 (http-mime-override): Content type rules in HTML 5 overlaps with the HTTP specification? [HTML Principles/Requirements]

I don't think there's any issue that it overlaps, is there?  It seems
obvious to me that that it does.

A lot of work has gone into sec 4.9, and it's useful for everybody to
know what is currently common practice so I'm all for keeping it.  But
what is accomplished by making it normative exactly?  Content sniffing
is a bug, and IMO we shouldn't mandate that these bugs needn't be
fixed.

Mark.