Re: ISSUE-28 (http-mime-override): Content type rules in HTML 5 overlaps with the HTTP specification? [HTML Principles/Requirements]

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:12:53 +0100
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
CC: HTML Issue Tracking WG <public-html@w3.org>

Mark Baker wrote:
> On 1/23/08, HTML Issue Tracking Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:
>> ISSUE-28 (http-mime-override): Content type rules in HTML 5 overlaps with the HTTP specification? [HTML Principles/Requirements]
>
> I don't think there's any issue that it overlaps, is there?  It seems
> obvious to me that that it does.
>
> A lot of work has gone into sec 4.9, and it's useful for everybody to
> know what is currently common practice so I'm all for keeping it.  But
> what is accomplished by making it normative exactly?  Content sniffing
> is a bug, and IMO we shouldn't mandate that these bugs needn't be
> fixed.

In particular, it seems that neither FF2 nor FF3 follow these rules with
respect to ignoring text/plain in certain situations (test cases 008,
009, 010 in
<http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/http/content-type/sniffing/>). So I'd
really like to understand why this can be considered a "MUST" level
requirement when we have proof that popular browsers can get away with
*not* ignoring the Content-Type header here.

BR, Julian