Re: About video & audio elements

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:49:53 -0700
To: Maurice <maurice@thymeonline.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

At 18:25  -0400 28/08/08, Maurice wrote:
>What about separate files for sub-titles? In the fan-subbing scene
>it's common for videos to be distributed without any subtitles and
>then many people around the world do their own translation and share
>the text files with the web.

If the user is supplying ancillary data, then in some sense that's
outside the scope of the HTML5 'contract' between the page author an
dthe user-agent, I think.

>What if I actually have a single video (no audio) and multiple audio
>files, each in a different language.
>Could I somehow sync the video and selected audio file by having
>them start playing simultaneously?

You should lay these up into what HTML5 sees as a single media
resource, either using a track-structured file format like QuickTime
or MP4, or using SMIL or other integration layer.
David Singer