Re: About video & audio elements

On Aug 25, at 7:48 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> - What about multi-tracks files ? (For instance a video with a French
>> and English audio tracks and German and Japanese subtitles)
>
> This is supported if the media format supports it. No API exists
> currently
> to expose this to script, however.

What about separate files for sub-titles? In the fan-subbing scene
it's common for videos to be distributed without any subtitles and
then many people around the world do their own translation and share
the text files with the web.

>>> - In a search engine way of thinking, and still for these multi-
>>> tracks
>>> files, how could we parse an HTML document to get all the availables
>>> tracks (maybe a available-audio attribute ?)
>>
>> Right now there is no way to do this other than actually examining
>> the
>> media files.

There are server side libraries for pulling all the info you could
ever want out of video and audio files. What would be the best way to
present this meta data for search engines?

* attributes on the video tag?
* <mediadetails> tag within the video tag?
* some new microformat?

>> - In a browser vendor way of thinking, load the prefered tracks for
>> the
>> user (after he selected his prefered listening/reading languages in
>> his
>> browser's prefs)
>
> The user agent would be expected to remember the user's language
> preferences and select the preferred track from the media resource.

What if I actually have a single video (no audio) and multiple audio
files, each in a different language.
Could I somehow sync the video and selected audio file by having them
start playing simultaneously?