Re: ISSUE-54 (html5-doctype-vs-xslt): XSLT 1.0 can not generate HTML5 documents [HTML 5 spec]

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:28:07 +0100
To: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Michael(tm) Smith writes:

>   - Instead of "XSLT-compat" or some other arbitrary string, why
>     not just require that it just be the empty string? ... we would
>     want the value to be empty, not some standard value that would
>     become a de facto public ID and that apps would lead to the same
>     very real "bogus rationalizations about its purpose" problem that
>     Henri describes.

I'd've thought exactly the opposite: "XSLT-compat" is somewhat
self-documenting, indicating that this is XSLT-compatible HTML.  Whereas
"PUBLIC ''" is a cryptic bit of boilerplate with no obvious purpse --
which could therefore lead to the fears Henri mentioned, of people
thinking it's needed for reasons other than XSLT compatibility and
including it unnecessarily.

Smylers