Re: SURVEY: Accept requirement for immediate mode graphics a la canvas element?

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:02:55 +0100, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann
> <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I think, this part of the working draft would be more convincing, if
>> there was an element like animation (as in SMIL, SVG Tiny 1.2 or
>> vector or however one might call it) to reference vector graphics too
>> (optionally with server-sided
>> generation to avoid user-sided scripting) - either as an external file
>> similar to audio or video or to embed it in a mixed document XHTML+SVG
>> as a clear separation...
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-declarative.html
> marks 2D vector graphics and animation out of scope because it is
> already adequately addressed by SVG which can be embedded in XHTML.

For various reasons, many members of this working group (correctly,
IMHO) believe that XHTML is a non-starter for most people.

> Embedding SVG (and MathML for instance) in HTML is an area I and others
> have been looking into during the TPAC (and also on this mailing list,
> on weblogs, etc.), but we don't have a good enough proposal yet or
> implementation experience for that matter to show that it could actually
> work.

Some prior work in this area, some may be dead ends, others may pan out:

http://intertwingly.net/blog/2006/12/05/HOWTO-Embed-MathML-and-SVG-into-HTML4
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2006/12/18/application-xhtml
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2007/05/04/Inline-SVG-in-MSIE
http://intertwingly.net/blog/2007/09/11/SVG-on-IE-via-Silverlight-Revisited