Re: SURVEY: Accept requirement for immediate mode graphics a la canvas element?

At 16:02  +0100 30/11/07, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
>I think, this part of the working draft would be more convincing, if there was
>an element like animation (as in SMIL, SVG Tiny 1.2 or vector or however one
>might call it) to reference vector graphics too (optionally with server-sided
>generation to avoid user-sided scripting) - either as an external file
>similar to audio or video or to embed it in a mixed document XHTML+SVG
>as a clear separation...

FWIW the 'animation' element in SVG has a definition problem.  Unlike
video, audio, or image, which talk about a media type with
characteristics, where the actual format is defined by the MIME type
of the thing embedded, the animation element refers directly to SVG.

Further, it's not clear to me what the media-type difference is from
video or audio:  a timed presentation, possibly with indefinite
duration or fixed duration, possibly with visual appearance, and
possibly with user interaction.  These are all true of <video>;  what
extra semantics does <animation> bring (apart from the unfortunate
restriction above)?

--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime