Re: Getting started with issue tracking

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Julian Reschke wrote:

> > I am concerned that this issue, as described, does not follow the
> > template and principles laid out in past posts to this working group
> >
> >    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0953.html
>
> Also, I'm not sure what principle the test issue doesn't get right,
> maybe you could be a bit more specific?

Sorry, I meant this issue tracking system, not the specific issue.

> > Having issues summarised in the above format in the wiki is much more
> > likely to allow everyone to have their point of view considered.
>
> Tracker has a Description field that is editable, plus notes which can
> be added.

Aha, I didn't realise you could edit the description field. This pretty
much resolves my concerns. I would recommend, though, that we ensure that
every issue follows the format described in:

   http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/IssueTemplate
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0946.html

...maybe following the example listed in:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0953.html

> I would expect that when discussion on a specific issue progresses, the
> Description field would be maintained to summarize the current state of
> discussion.

That's good, if it happens! :-)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Shawn Medero wrote:

> Starting today, I'm going to be migrating pages from the wiki that can
> actually made into issues. To be honest (and I don't mean to slight all
> of the folks who have poured a lot of effort into the wiki) there aren't
> that many pages that can be "copied" over as-is. Most of the "issues" on
> the wiki read like background research or even position papers... they
> start with one solution (instead of a problem) and it colors the rest of
> the content on that page. Things have gotten a little better in the last
> month and there's a lot of valuable content to be mined from the wiki
> for particular issues... so I hope to tackle that as best I can.

Thank you for taking this on! I agree that many of the issues in the wiki
don't follow the format mentioned above. I look forward to seeing the
tracker have better-written issues! :-)

> I have your linked emails set aside as guidance and some previous notes
> from off-line discussions we've had about this topic. I hope you'll give
> the Tracker a chance...

Absolutely.

Question: Is there a way to distinguish issues that are in the following
states?:

 * Newly added
 * Written in the format described in the template and e-mails above
 * Read, considered, and handled by the editors
 * Closed

In particular, the first three would be really useful to me, as I don't
necessarily want to look at issues in the first category until they're in
the second category, and I don't want to look at issues in the third
category again since they've already been handled by Hyatt or myself.