Re: The only name for the xml serialisation of html5

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:41:42 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
>>
>> When you write "Wikipedia even mentions XHTML5 as being the XML version
>> of HTML5", are you not being a little disingenuous ?  Checking the
>> update history for that page, one finds that the assertion "(XHTML5 is
>> the XML dialect of HTML5, seems better to redirect to HTML5 instead)"
>> was made by an anonymous contributor identified only by IP address :
>> 213.236.208.22.  Associating that address with a DNS name, one finds
>>
>>  21 78 ms 79 ms 88 ms pat-tdc.opera.com [213.236.208.22]

Actually, if you look at the log[1] you see that someone else first
created the page and initially made it redirect to the WHATWG page.

>> and when one compares that DNS name with those recorded in the HTML5 IRC
>> logs, one finds that it is associated with Lachlan Hunt :
>>
>>  > # [03:06] * Quits: Lachy (n=Lachy@pat-tdc.opera.com)
>
> Actually it would be associated with anyone at Opera, that's the Opera
> corporate gateway.

Yeah, it was me (though not all edits from that IP are from me, fwiw). It
couldn't have been Lachlan as he didn't start working for us until very
recently. I made the change because letting it redirect to WHATWG seemed
inappropriate (as I said in the commit entry). I didn't think this was too
controversial as someone else already created the page. And if it was
someone would probably correct me. Other people actually also did this for
the "XHTML 5" page[2].

[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=XHTML5&action=history>
[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=XHTML_5&action=history>

--