Re: Paving Cowpaths

From: Joe D'Andrea <jdandrea@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 15:30:32 -0400
To: "Chris Wilson" <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Dailey, David P." <david.dailey@sru.edu>, "Debi Orton" <oradnio@gmail.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

On 5/21/07, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:

> ... [for] folks who make web pages ... The browser is their error-checker.

Aye. That's where my head was when I wondered aloud if user agents
would do well to provide built-in conformance checking[1], because
that's where said folks will expect to find it.

After a bit of reflection, I realize that "error checking" in the
browser (aside from JavaScript) often amounts to a visual inspection
vs. "how well does the document conform to machine-checkable
requirements of a particular spec?" (read: "Beauty is in the eye of
the beholder.")

I also shudder at the thought of "built-in conformance checker wars." <!>

--
Joe D'Andrea
www.joesapt.net

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0959.html