Re: Paving Cowpaths

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:33:31 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

> As much as I'd love to subscribe to this philosophy, David, I
> think the problem is that the folks who make web pages (to make
> a gross generalization) don't read the HTML spec except as a
> last resort.  They type into Notepad (or similar text editor).
> The browser is their error-checker.

No, they don't type into Notepad... They use FrontPage or Nvu.

And to be honest, this is not the problem here. A spec cannot
target two audiences that are so different, implementors and users
(here, users are document authors). And to be honest too, a spec
_should not_ target users. Tutorials and books are here to educate
users.

IMHO, this is not _at all_ our mission to build a tutorial, some
people do that much better than we do. The best we can do is a
good spec so tutorial authors don't make enormous mistakes...
(did you hear me say they often do enormous mistakes ?-)

</Daniel>