Re: Author incentives for accessibility

On 18 May 2007, at 12:21, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> Matthew Raymond wrote:
>
>>    Are you suggesting that we design HTML5 around the
>> accessibility laws
>> of every country and municipality on Earth? Because if that's the
>> case,
>> we're going to need a lot more lawyers on this mailing list...
>
> I can't answer for Henrik Dvergsdal, but speaking solely for myself
> I believe that HTML 5 should be designed to accommodate the
> accessibility
> requirements of as many people as possible.  In practice, we can be
> guided by the accessibility legislation that is already in place in
> (for example), Europe and North America.

Is this not a bit cart before horse?

> What staggers me is that the Open Source movement wastes
> uncountable hours worrying about licences, whilst some
> members of this group seem blissfully unconcerned about the
> far more real-world concerns regarding accessibility.

How are they real world? I haven't seen any major cases with respect
to accessibility, certainly not of the magnitude of the Eolas case.
I'm with you in spirit but we can't argue from a false premise, you
have to take the world as it is not how you imagine it.

--
Stephen Stewart