Re: Proposal: Chained Classnames

Murray Maloney schrieb:

> At 11:18 PM 5/17/2007 +0200, Dão Gottwald wrote:
>
>> Sure, just like style rules for [role~="foo"] are connected to the
>> semantics of an element with the "foo" role. The crux is /default/
>> style sheet.
>
> I'm confused. Or maybe I just don't understand what point you are making.

Chris Adams wrote: "So if the CSS engine defines defaults for class
names that is wonderful but not really a task left up for the HTML folks."
I'm saying that default styles won't be defined for classes, as that
would cause mass confusion and break existing page layouts. So the
question whether this should be done here or in the CSS WG doesn't even
arise.

> However, <i class="shipname">Titanic</i> could get you both a default style
> and an understandable semantic.

But that default style wouldn't be applied due to the class name.

--Dao