Re: HTML forms, XForms, Web Forms - which and how much?

On May 1, 2007, at 01:28, John Boyer wrote:

> JB: Why would we ever write a language that allows one to say C = A
> + B; when we already have
>
> LOAD AX, 1000
> LOAD BX, 1004
> ADD AX, BX
> STO AX, 1008

We have compilers between saying
> C = A + B
and
> LOAD AX, 1000
> LOAD BX, 1004
> ADD AX, BX
> STO AX, 1008

We don't load C = A + B on the CPU.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that XForms corresponds to
> C = A + B
and Web Forms 2.0 corresponds to
> LOAD AX, 1000
> LOAD BX, 1004
> ADD AX, BX
> STO AX, 1008
(I don't actually agree with considering Web Forms 2.0 to be
analogous to assembly language, BTW.)

If we were to follow this analogy, shouldn't we arrive at using an
XForms backplane, a Web Forms 2.0 browser and a compiler-like product
on the server-side in between (such as the one Orbeon makes)? This
would allow authoring in XForms with the alleged ease-of-authoring
benefits but would also address the situation that browser vendors
are reluctant to ship browser-side XForms engines as part of the
default browser feature set.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi