Re: HTML forms, XForms, Web Forms - which and how much?

From: Preston L. Bannister <preston@bannister.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:10:15 -0700
To: "John Boyer" <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Cc: "Simon Pieters" <zcorpan@gmail.com>, mark.birbeck@x-port.net, public-html@w3.org, public-html-request@w3.org
On 4/30/07, John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> SP: Sure, but when something can be done with either an existing concept
> or
> with a new concept, then using the existing concept seems preferable to
> me.
>
> JB: Why would we ever write a language that allows one to say C = A + B;
> when we already have
>
> LOAD AX, 1000
> LOAD BX, 1004
> ADD AX, BX
> STO AX, 1008

By the same token, why write C = A + B when you could write:

    (SETQ C (PLUS A B))

After all, Lisp is yet "more advanced" ... :)

John, I get the impression you think XForms is the best and only possible
evolution and abstraction for generating HTML forms.  Seems there are a few
folk (myself included) who are less convinced.  There may well be a range of
applications for which XForms is a terrific solution.  There may also be a
range of applications for which XForms is not the most efficient
abstraction.