Re: HTML forms, XForms, Web Forms - which and how much?

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Theorem: Declarative representations reduce bugs
>> Proof: Spreadsheets. QED
>
> Hmm. Is there any evidence that Excel spreadsheets have fewer bugs than,
> say, Visual Basic programs of similar complexity? I know of no such
> evidence. It is certainly possible for spreadsheet formulas to be buggy.

This is rather more the sort of research that I had in mind rather than
the general statement that spreadsheets are easy to use. Spreadsheets
are not really a great comparison to HTML since they combine a
declarative language with a simple but powerful GUI paradigm to
represent the data -- possibly it is this GUI that affords much of the
ease of use. The declarative features are also sufficiently limited that
many large spreadsheets contain significant amounts of imperative code,
suggesting a tradeoff between ease of use for simple tasks and range of
applicability. Other declarative languages such as XSLT may make
different tradeoffs -- I have personally found that, in my limited
experience with XSLT, the type of tree manipulations I wanted to perform
were harder (for me) than just writing a script.

Given this, I hope its clear why I was asking about research into the
general properties of declarative languages to help me understand the
claims that are being made that declarative languages are a-priori
easier for authors.

--
"Instructions to follow very carefully.
Go to Tesco's.  Go to the coffee aisle.  Look at the instant coffee.