Re: HTML forms, XForms, Web Forms - which and how much?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:00:40 -0700
Cc: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org, public-html-request@w3.org
To: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>

On May 1, 2007, at 8:30 AM, John Boyer wrote:

> Explain why this doesn't work for you:
>
> Axiom: Non-programmers will make more errors on programming tasks
> than programmers

This assumes that making declarative representations is not a
programming task. How likely is a non-programmer to create, say, an
XSLT stylesheet that works correctly?

> Theorem: Declarative representations reduce bugs
> Proof: Spreadsheets. QED

Hmm. Is there any evidence that Excel spreadsheets have fewer bugs
than, say, Visual Basic programs of similar complexity? I know of no
such evidence. It is certainly possible for spreadsheet formulas to
be buggy.

Regards,
Maciej