Re: HTML forms, XForms, Web Forms - which and how much?

Hi James,

A point I made already on this list is that XForms blends imperative and
declarative constructs.
The question is not whether declarative is better than imperative.  As
your own research has shown,
a blend is better.

The problem is that some folks on this list want proof about why there
should be *any* declarative
expressions available.  Why not just do everything with script?

In Fred Brookes' book, the Mythical Man Month, research is cited to
indicate that code
complexity rises at a superlinear rate relative to the number of lines of
code, on the order
of L^1.5 where L is the number of source lines of code.  This means that
code which is 10 times
longer is roughly 30 times harder to maintain.

Although the "Mythical Man Month" is a legendary resource, it is actually
quite easy to grasp why
reducing code length might have such a dramatic effect on complexity.  If
you take L commands,
there are in fact L! possible orders for them.  Now, agreed that most are
"obviously" wrong, and
some are logically equivalent in that they produce the same result.  Yet
there are many possible
orders for a sequence of commands that are plausible yet incorrect, even
if only by a bit.
In a nutshell, the shorter you make L, the less potentiality there is for
bugs.

In XForms, we use declarative constructs to tailor the meaning of the
imperative commands that
manipulate the data model and views.  This has the effect of reducing the
length of scripts, often
to only one or two consecutive commands per event handler. When L is close
to 1 or 2, it becomes
very hard to pick the wrong order, so you can focus on whether you got the
parameters right in
each command.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Sent by: public-html-request@w3.org
05/01/2007 01:48 PM

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
cc
John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA, Daniel Glazman
<daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>,
public-html@w3.org, public-html-request@w3.org
Subject

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Theorem: Declarative representations reduce bugs
>> Proof: Spreadsheets. QED
>
> Hmm. Is there any evidence that Excel spreadsheets have fewer bugs than,

> say, Visual Basic programs of similar complexity? I know of no such
> evidence. It is certainly possible for spreadsheet formulas to be buggy.

This is rather more the sort of research that I had in mind rather than
the general statement that spreadsheets are easy to use. Spreadsheets
are not really a great comparison to HTML since they combine a
declarative language with a simple but powerful GUI paradigm to
represent the data -- possibly it is this GUI that affords much of the
ease of use. The declarative features are also sufficiently limited that
many large spreadsheets contain significant amounts of imperative code,
suggesting a tradeoff between ease of use for simple tasks and range of
applicability. Other declarative languages such as XSLT may make
different tradeoffs -- I have personally found that, in my limited
experience with XSLT, the type of tree manipulations I wanted to perform
were harder (for me) than just writing a script.

Given this, I hope its clear why I was asking about research into the
general properties of declarative languages to help me understand the
claims that are being made that declarative languages are a-priori
easier for authors.

--
"Instructions to follow very carefully.
Go to Tesco's.  Go to the coffee aisle.  Look at the instant coffee.