Re: Rethinking HTML 5 (Was: Re: Semicolon after entities)

On May 1, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Matthew Ratzloff wrote:

> Nah.  You have a complete document for implementors and a much smaller
> document containing the allowed tags and usage guidelines for content
> authors.  Content authors have no need or desire to view
> implementation
> details.  They want to know what tags, attributes, and attribute
> values
> are allowed and what they do.  A second, smaller document detailing
> the
> changes from HTML 4 would also be helpful to them.

Cool, a guide for authors based on the normative specification does
sound helpful, and the chairs already have identified it as a good
secondary deliverable. As long as you don't want to split the
normative requirements across two documents then I am ok with it.

> The first document (content authoring sub-specification) can be
> created by
> copying the full specification and deleting huge swaths of text
> from it.
> The second document (changes from HTML 4) can be created based on the
> content authoring sub-specification and the HTML 4 specification
> over the
> course of a couple of afternoons.  I would be happy to write that.

If it's more of a tutorial than a conformance document, then you'd
probably want to change the wording too. Still, given your
enthusiasm, I think you should volunteer for this in the tasks survey.

Regards,
Maciej