Re: missing principle

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 11:16:14 -0700
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

On May 1, 2007, at 6:23 AM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> Daniel Glazman wrote:
> >
> > I think we miss one principle about the ubiquity of HTML. HTML is
> not
> > only used in web browsers. It's used in email
>
> In the view of many (most ?), HTML is /abused/ in e-mail.  E-mail
> is about the communication of information, and can invariably
> best be accomplished using text/plain.

Most would like to be able to put some bold or italic text in their
email, or embed a picture, or include a list, without concerning
themselves with the format. They don't know or care that it is HTML.

I notice that you set some of your text in pseudo-italics using the
slash convention: "/abused/". Why is that invariably a better way of
communicating information than using real italics: "abused"?

Regards,
Maciej