Re: missing principle

From: Philip & Le Khanh <Philip-and-LeKhanh@Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 21:50:35 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

 > I notice that you set some of your text in pseudo-italics using the
 > slash convention: "/abused/". Why is that invariably a better way of
 > communicating information than using real italics: "/abused/"?

It is not /invariably/ a better way of communicating the semantics;
if I were writing HTML, I would write <em>abused</em>; if I
were writing Plain TeX, I would write "\stress {abused}" (and
define a macro \stress to handle it); but as I am writing
e-mail, I use the lowest common denominator : the one
format that can be read by every e-mail client in the world --
text/plain.

Philip Taylor