Re: missing principle

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 14:23:17 +0100
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>

Daniel Glazman wrote:

 > I think we miss one principle about the ubiquity of HTML. HTML is not
 > only used in web browsers. It's used in email

In the view of many (most ?), HTML is /abused/ in e-mail.  E-mail
is about the communication of information, and can invariably
best be accomplished using text/plain.

 >  and there are more > HTML-based email authors than Web page authors, it's used to design and
 > print books,

I known that Hakon Wium Lie & Bert Bos recently produced a
book using HTML, but I wonder how many more books have
been produced using technology that still only barely
addresses the real needs  of high-quality book design and
typesetting.

 > it's used for messages in interserver communications.

Where XML would almost certainly be a better choice.

 > Editability of HTML is also a key issue. Designing cool and powerful
 > features is one thing, making them editable and therefore reachable by
 > the masses is another one.

What does "editability" mean here (genuine question) ?  Are you
referring to the ability of an HTML author to define, on the fly,
a new dialect of HTML (which proposal I would strongly support),
or the ability of a person X to change something written in HTML
by person Y, or yet something else ?

Philip Taylor