Re: Support Existing Content

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 14:48:07 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

James Graham wrote:

> What gives you the idea that all content with <!DOCTYPE HTML> (or
> whatever) at the top will be "well formed"

It won't (until pigs learn to fly); what I am arguing is that
for HTML5+, browsers should refuse to render non-well-formed
documents.  All extant (HTML 4.01-) documents would continue
to be renderable and rendered for the foreseeable future, but
w.e.f. HTML5, non-well-formed HTML5+ documents would never be
seen by the end user,

Philip Taylor