Re: Support Existing Content

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 14:40:16 +0100
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> To jeopardise this opportunity by insisting that the
> browser use the same parsing/rendering algorithms for legacy
> ("tag soup") documents as for new ("well formed") documents
> is insane, IMHO.

What gives you the idea that all content with <!DOCTYPE HTML> (or whatever) at
the top will be "well formed" (I'm not even sure what well formed means when
talking about HTML, but I guess you mean "no parser-level syntax errors")? That
seems to be an astoundingly naive assumption which suggests a faliure to learn
from the mistakes of XHTML.