Re: LONGDESC: some current problems and a proposed solution added to the wiki

From: Peter Krantz <peter.krantz@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 00:10:14 +0200
To: "Philip TAYLOR" <Philip-and-LeKhanh@royal-tunbridge-wells.org>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On 6/30/07, Philip TAYLOR <Philip-and-LeKhanh@royal-tunbridge-wells.org> wrote:
> Why would you want to display the fallback content
> at the same time as the image ?  If both are to
> be presented concurrently, the so-called "fallback"
> content isn't fallback at all, but simply an intrinsic
> part of the page (and would, of course, be marked up
> as such).

The description of a complex picture may be helpful to people without
a disability. Why hide it in the fallback content and force editors to
repeat the content elsewhere? If I make it part of the page, how would
e.g. a screen reader know that the particular content is connected to
the image?

Why not make it possible to use CSS and script to modify the
presentation of the description. An example could be that the user is
able to click and slide out the description from underneath the image
or choose to display it some other way.

Regards,

Peter